Moving into the mechanical /electrical construction phase of the project, this position is required to support the implementation and maintenance of a project-specific H&S management system within the existing Integrated Management System framework at the Generation construction site.
The HSSER Advisor shall assist field management and personnel with fostering a culture in support of a "Zero Incident" mind set, whereby all accidents are considered to be preventable. Working with site personnel and its contractors to strive for Zero harm to personnel, material and non-material assets.
The Health and Safety Advisor has responsibility for the day-to-day field assessment of permitted activities for the construction, commissioning, and handover stages of the main generation Powerhouse at the Generation construction site
The duties and job functions of the HEALTH, SAFETY, SECURITY & EMERGENCY RESPONSE Advisor shall include, but are not limited to the following:
• Routinely monitor the implementation and maintenance of the H&S management system with respect to field level compliance at the worksite.
• Provide HSSER oversight of Civil, Mechanical and Electrical systems installation and Commissioning activities.
• Support the implementation and monitoring of programs encompassing Permit to Work and Safe Work Practice systems /processes, training programs as the project moves into commissioning and start-up phases. Work with contractors to implement such programs.
• Support SIMOPS program.
• Provide HSSER support and guidance to field personnel.
• Periodically monitor the functionality and overall quality of the site Emergency Response function is at all site levels, including the periodic observation and monitoring of site drills to evaluate Emergency Management Capability and document actions in an actual response. Manage close-out of resulting actions.
• Assist in the compliance assessment and completion of Federal and Provincial OHS orders, issuances and variance applications, as warranted/required.
• Provide input into contractor's construction safety execution plans, health and safety management systems, emergency response plans and safe work practices.
• Provide HSSER reports per project standards.
• Assist with the conduct of a formal incident investigation /root cause analysis, as required. Review incident investigation reports for accuracy and completeness.
• Ensure any and all Lessons Learned are captured and reflected in ongoing work as appropriate.
• Conduct periodic audits and Contractor work activities at the site to ensure overall compliance with the H&S management system (policies, standards, safe work practices and safe work procedures), and prepare and issue formal audit reports.
• Identify hold points and ensure process compliance for critical activities such as Lock Out Tag Out, Critical Lift, Confined Space and Working at Heights.
• Regular interface with Contractors and Senior Management on HSS&ER matters specifically related to electrical and mechanical installations, permit to work and commissioning activities.
• University graduation or graduation from a technical college, suplemented by additional training in Health and Safety Management or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Certified Auditor training in ISO 9001 or ISO 14001 or ISO 18001 are desirable.
• CRSP. CSP, NCSO or equivalent designation is an asset.
• Minimum 5 to 7 years’ experience implementing Health and Safety programs for iarge mecnanicai and eiectricai construction projects.
• Experience working in energized installations.
• Familiarization with Permit-to-Work systems for energized installations
• Candidate should have loss prevention experience and working knowledge in areas such as: process safety management, incident/injury prevention, hazard identification, qualitative and quantitative risk analysis, safe operating procedures and standards, behavioural safety programs, and incident investigation.
• Experience working with contractors to ensure their Health and Safety Systems Applications meet or exceed minimum requirements.
• Prof dent in conducting H&S Management System Auditing.
• Knowledge of Health and Safety Regulatory Requirements and Construction Industry Best Practices considered an asset.
14/14, night shift, 10 hr/day
Muskrat Falls, NL
A Utilities Company
Muskrat Falls, NL